TDHF (The Dazzling House Forum) A forum for video game topics.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Games you're no longer able to play

+2
Melcharge
Kyng
6 posters

Go down

Games you're no longer able to play Empty Games you're no longer able to play

Post by Kyng 3/30/2023, 10:44 pm

All of us have games in our collection that we no longer play - either because we've already beaten them, or because we just got bored of them. However, there are also games that, for one reason or another, we simply cannot play any more. Perhaps we no longer own the physical copy; perhaps they're online multiplayer games that got closed down; or maybe they're Flash games that didn't make it onto BlueMaxima's Flashpoint. But, whatever the case, here's the place to reminisce about them.

I'll start by talking about a game on the LEGO website, called Drome Racing Challenge:

Games you're no longer able to play OiFOhV5

Despite the name (and the racing theme), this game didn't involve any actual driving Razz . Instead, the challenge was to design a good car: decide what engine to equip, and what chassis and wheel enhancements to fit. Then, you could 'race' your car against other people's creations: each race would consist of a series of randomly-generated events, which the two cars would both attempt to handle (and their success would depend on what equipment had been fitted). Perhaps that sounds a little dull - but, it was quite a good fit for the target audience (since it was a game about designing cars, and LEGO fans generally love designing things Laughing !)

Sadly, updates to the game were very slow. It first went live in 2002, and for well over a year, there was only one zone available to race in (the Jungle zone), and the higher-tier equipment simply wasn't available. Eventually, some time in late 2003 or early 2004, two more zones were added (Beach and High Speed), but still no higher-tier items. The wait for those was longer still: they finally arrived in late 2005 or early 2006 (along with three new zones), but by then it was really too late. Furthermore, the game was always very buggy: I remember a lot of players exploited bugs to get hold of far more upgrade points than they were supposed to, which of course ruined the game for everybody who was playing honestly Sad . The bugs never got fixed - and consequently, in April 2007 the game closed for good Sad .

So, do you have any more games that you're no longer able to play, that you'd like to talk about?

Kyng

Back to top Go down

Games you're no longer able to play Empty Re: Games you're no longer able to play

Post by Melcharge 3/31/2023, 8:30 pm

Any game for the GameCube. Seriously, it's like Nintendo WANTS to kill the whole entire GameCube generation! No way to buy them officially anymore, and used versions are ridiculously rare and expensive. Back when I had a Wii, I liked to play Animal Crossing (the original), Pokémon Colosseum, XD: Gale of Darkness, and Channel, and they're all nearly impossible to get anymore (and I lost my old GC games and my Wii). RIP.
Melcharge
Melcharge

Back to top Go down

Games you're no longer able to play Empty Re: Games you're no longer able to play

Post by J-Ster 4/4/2023, 9:43 am

Super Mario 35. This was an online multiplayer game that was free to download on the Nintendo Switch between October 2020 - March 2021. It was made for the Mario 35th anniversary celebrations. The gameplay consisted of 35 players all completing various Mario levels in a battle-royale element. Players had a timer that could be extended by collecting coins and defeating emenies (like Goombas and Koopa Tropas). Players could use their coins collected on the game to buy power-ups (Stars and Fire Flowers). If a player run out of time, or got defeated by an enemy, then they would lose and be out of the game. Whoever the last player standing was would win the game.

Sadly, the game's servers were shut down on April 1, 2021, following the end of the Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary celebrations. It's a shame this was only designed to be a temporary game, since it was a lot of fun. I think this game could always be added as an online minigame in the next main series Mario game.

Melcharge wrote:Any game for the GameCube. Seriously, it's like Nintendo WANTS to kill the whole entire GameCube generation! No way to buy them officially anymore, and used versions are ridiculously rare and expensive. Back when I had a Wii, I liked to play Animal Crossing (the original), Pokémon Colosseum, XD: Gale of Darkness, and Channel, and they're all nearly impossible to get anymore (and I lost my old GC games and my Wii). RIP.

I'm surprised GameCube games were never added to the Virtual Console, since every other Nintendo console/handheld was. Yeah, some GameCube games seem to sell for well over £100 each, which is quite expensive for games that were only released in the early 2000s.
J-Ster
J-Ster
Admin

Melcharge liked this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jirachu 4/17/2023, 11:32 pm

I don’t play main Pokémon rpgs much anymore if at all cos I know they can take time away from other things for me a lot and I have a busier life now.
Jirachu
Jirachu

Back to top Go down

Post by slooroo 4/26/2023, 9:17 pm

Flappy Bird (unless you buy a phone with it still installed or do some tricks with the internet)
slooroo
slooroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jirachu 4/28/2023, 12:31 am

Kirby squeak squad and Pokémon pearl.

Cos, last saterday, I sent them to a certain online friend who’s birthday is on the 30th of next month Wink happy birthday to him. He knows who he is Smile
Jirachu
Jirachu

Back to top Go down

Post by slooroo 7/10/2023, 9:14 pm

The entire Unreal series only has fan servers now and you can't buy the games on Steam anymore because it was decided the company would focus 120% on Fortnite. It actually angered a lot of fans of the franchise who felt like the developers were abandoning their old school fans for their new ones.
slooroo
slooroo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jirachu 7/12/2023, 10:47 pm

Flash games need a mention here lol
Jirachu
Jirachu

Back to top Go down

Post by Melcharge 7/14/2023, 3:36 pm

Most games on Neopets. The Neopets Team says they'll bring most of them over to the new site, but even if they do, a lot of the obscure games will likely be lost. Unfortunate. I loved the Neopets Flash games as a kid.
Melcharge
Melcharge

Jirachu liked this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jirachu 10/1/2023, 10:10 am

I mentioned this game in another thread: Eversion. Probably not possible on an iPad to play that Razz But I used to play that game tons back at the old house….haha. I still don’t know how I didn’t get super scared by that game after awhile, cos it DOES get soooo spooky. Although it’s also rather cartoony and cute I guess haha.
Jirachu
Jirachu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jarno 10/12/2023, 2:38 pm

sometimes i still miss sonic heroes
Jarno
Jarno

Back to top Go down

Post by Jirachu 10/16/2023, 11:11 am

My hello kitty computer games from the old house. Welp. I miss those.
Jirachu
Jirachu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down