TDHF (The Dazzling House Forum) A forum for video game topics.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EU requires handhelds to have replaceable batteries by 2027

3 posters

Go down

EU requires handhelds to have replaceable batteries by 2027 Empty EU requires handhelds to have replaceable batteries by 2027

Post by Kyng 7/17/2023, 8:25 pm

https://www.ign.com/articles/eu-says-handheld-consoles-must-have-replaceable-batteries-starting-2027

The next iterations of the Nintendo Switch and Steam Deck could come with replaceable batteries thanks to a new EU regulation.

As reported by Eurogamer, the Council of the European Union has unveiled a new regulation that forces all devices, including handheld games consoles, to come with replaceable batteries by 2027.

Nintendo's current console, similar to the Steam Deck and other already available devices, likely won't be affected, but the regulation could affect development of next-generation systems like the Switch successor. While companies could push back against the regulation, the EU said the 2027 timeframe gives "sufficient time for operators to adapt the design of their products to this requirement".

I know EU regulations aren't always popular, but this one makes sense... it's making consoles more practical for consumers, and I was surprised this wasn't a requirement already.

Anyway, I hope it isn't too hard for companies to modify their consoles!

Kyng

Back to top Go down

EU requires handhelds to have replaceable batteries by 2027 Empty Re: EU requires handhelds to have replaceable batteries by 2027

Post by J-Ster 7/18/2023, 5:44 pm

This is a great move. This will make battery life last longer and make it more easier to replace broken batteries.
J-Ster
J-Ster
Admin

Back to top Go down

EU requires handhelds to have replaceable batteries by 2027 Empty Re: EU requires handhelds to have replaceable batteries by 2027

Post by slooroo 7/18/2023, 8:58 pm

I support it since I hate when any tech is made near impossible to repair just so companies can force you to buy a new one.
slooroo
slooroo

Melcharge liked this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum