TDHF (The Dazzling House Forum) A forum for video game topics.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spotify "will not ban AI music"

3 posters

Go down

Spotify "will not ban AI music" Empty Spotify "will not ban AI music"

Post by Kyng 10/1/2023, 7:31 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-66882414

The boss of Spotify says he has no plans to completely ban content created by artificial intelligence from the music streaming platform.

Earlier this year the platform pulled a track featuring AI-cloned voices of the performers Drake and The Weeknd.

Daniel Ek told the BBC there were valid uses of the tech in making music - but AI should not be used to impersonate human artists without their consent.

He said using AI in music was likely to be debated for "many, many years".

Yeah, I can definitely see why people want them to ban AI music: many musicians will see it as a threat to their livelihoods, especially if it's been trained on their own music. But, I think any ban would be very difficult to enforce.

So, what are your thoughts on the issue?

Kyng

Back to top Go down

Spotify "will not ban AI music" Empty Re: Spotify "will not ban AI music"

Post by Melcharge 10/2/2023, 9:58 pm

Oh gosh. As if I needed yet another reason to hate AI. It's bad enough that I have to worry that all books in the future will be written by robots and that no one will want to read real writing anymore because of it, but now I have to worry my favorite bands will have their jobs taken away because future music will be made by robots too? Disgusting. AI is already going way too far. Imagine how much worse it'll be in twenty years.

I used to think the whole AI vocals thing was kind of cool -- I even generated a message for my old forum a few years ago using a cartoon character AI voice created by fans -- but it's gotten ridiculous now. People are making new songs using AI voices that sound like an actual person, without permission from either that person or the label that owns their music. Gross. Usually I lean toward being in favor of the fans when it comes to copyright issues, but this is something that can genuinely threaten an artist's livelihood (unlike, say, Pokémon fan games, uploads of anime music you can't buy anywhere, or let's plays).

I especially hate that whether or not a song was made by AI can be hidden. The idea that I'll never know if what I'm listening to was made by a human or not is creepy.
Melcharge
Melcharge

J-Ster liked this post

Back to top Go down

Post by J-Ster 10/4/2023, 7:38 pm

I'm surprised that they're not banning AI music. Those AI-cloned versions of songs sound like complete copyright violations. AI is going just way too far.

I don't think music made by AI should be allowed on Spotify at all.
J-Ster
J-Ster
Admin

Melcharge liked this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down