TDHF (The Dazzling House Forum) A forum for video game topics.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2030 World Cup to be held across three continents

2 posters

Go down

2030 World Cup to be held across three continents Empty 2030 World Cup to be held across three continents

Post by Kyng 10/4/2023, 11:46 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67010609

The 2030 World Cup will be held across six countries in three continents, Fifa has confirmed.

Spain, Portugal and Morocco have been named as the co-hosts, with the opening three matches taking place in Uruguay, Argentina and Paraguay.

The opening matches in South America are to mark the World Cup's centenary as it will be 100 years since the inaugural tournament in Montevideo.

The decision is set to be ratified at a Fifa congress next year.

Fifa also confirmed only bids from countries from the Asian Football Confederation and the Oceania Football Confederation will be considered for the 2034 finals.

Personally, I think this is ridiculous... even if only three of the matches are in South America, it's still going to cause major problems with jet lag, and I can't imagine it being very environmentally-friendly either.

I don't expect we'll ever have a World Cup hosted by a single country again (because, with the expansion to 48 teams, it's grown too big for that) - but, I really think this makes a mockery of the concept of 'host nations', and at this point we might as well do away with them altogether.

Kyng

Back to top Go down

2030 World Cup to be held across three continents Empty Re: 2030 World Cup to be held across three continents

Post by J-Ster 10/9/2023, 11:08 am

I think this is a completely ridiculous decision. Any teams that have to play in South America will then have to travel for many hours to get to where their next game is being hosted, which will mean those teams will suffer jet lag and have slightly less time to train due to the extra travelling, which puts those teams at a disadvantage. And all the extra travelling isn't very environmentally-friendly either.

J-Ster
J-Ster
Admin

Back to top Go down