TDHF (The Dazzling House Forum) A forum for video game topics.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mario Kart 8 update nerfs 'bagging' strategy

2 posters

Go down

Mario Kart 8 update nerfs 'bagging' strategy Empty Mario Kart 8 update nerfs 'bagging' strategy

Post by Kyng 11/9/2023, 11:28 pm

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/11/mario-kart-8-update-nerfs-controversial-sandbagging-strategy/

Since Mario Kart 8's launch on the Wii U, one of the game's most successful and controversial strategies has involved intentionally hanging out at the back of the pack to amass and abuse the game's best items. Now, over nine years since the game's initial release, Nintendo has taken steps to eliminate the controversial "bagging" strategy in the latest update to the Switch's Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Mario Kart 8 players who made use of "bagging" (short for "sandbagging" and sometimes also called "item smuggling") in online races would briefly retreat to last place to sit on a regenerating item box, waiting to acquire some of the game's most powerful items (which are much more likely to appear when you are far away from first place). The bagging player could then use one of those items (say, a Golden Mushroom and/or Starman) to quickly catch up with the pack before using the other amassed item (say, a Bullet Bill) to build up a dominant lead. The strategy can be especially effective on tracks like "Cheese Land," where using a Bullet Bill in very specific locations can extend how long the powerful item lasts.

Yeah, while I'm not a Mario Kart player, I can't really blame Nintendo for doing this... it really doesn't sound like how the game is meant to be played Razz .

I'm sure it'll upset those who enjoyed the strategy - but, maybe they'll find they also like more conventional play!

Kyng

Melcharge liked this post

Back to top Go down

Mario Kart 8 update nerfs 'bagging' strategy Empty Re: Mario Kart 8 update nerfs 'bagging' strategy

Post by J-Ster 11/10/2023, 6:07 pm

I'm pleased to hear that they've eliminated it. It always annoyed me whenever someone used that strategy in an online race. That strategy isn't how the game is meant to be played at all, and just ends up ruining races for everyone else.

J-Ster
J-Ster
Admin

Melcharge liked this post

Back to top Go down